Tuesday, November 18, 2014

It's a Sign!

Signing to Success in the Classroom



     In school, I chose French as my language to learn when I had to pick one in high school and I continued throughout college. It's shown that knowing and practicing a second language is beneficial to learning in general, but why wait until middle or high school? Early childhood is arguably the most important time during a child's educational life, so I say let's put the two together! 

     I've started incorporating sign language into my 4K class by using the ol' classic, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle and my kiddos love it!

     
     Sign language is easy for kids to successfully learn quickly and they feel so accomplished when they can remember the signs! I love sign language because it incorporates sight and movement, along with the sounds of the words that they mean. So if you have English Language Learners, or even just some who learn better through sight rather than just hearing, everyone can be signing and learning! (It's also a great way to quiet your room for a bit if you feel like it's been a loud day!)


     So start off small with single words and build up to combinations and sentences. Also, get ready to see signs they may or may not have made up! So creative!



Be safe and sweet, y'all


No comments:

Post a Comment