Monday, December 1, 2014

Get your a capella voice ready...


...and oh do I love Christmas music!!

     Now that it's socially acceptable to listen to holiday music, I have been playing it in our class! The kiddos love to hear songs that they know or at least "have heard in Daddy's car," and I love sharing my love for the holiday season with them! 

     As a teacher, your children look up to you every day. Whether you realize or like it or not, they are constantly looking to you for guidance in things outside of the academic realm. The most recent example that has been brought to my attention was how hesitant I was to sing in front of them. Each of the classes at our school is expected to perform a song at the Christmas program later this month and seeing as how I am a newly solo teacher, the responsibility of teaching a song to these bright-eyed and bushy-tailed kiddos fell solely upon my shoulders. 

     I believe that I have a fairly good singing voice (although I've never been one for karaoke nights or belting out a tune in a car full of people), but when I was sitting on the carpet with my precious kids looking to me for musical guidance, I had to buckle down and throw my self-consciousness out the tinsel-decorated window. 


     I recalled something that a professor in college once said: no matter how beautiful or awful your voice sounds, if you sing with confidence and joy then your kids basically think you are the greatest.  You are their teacher. Comparable to super heroes and even Mommy or Daddy. They will love you no less; actually they will probably love you even more, while you sing with them. That group of kids will probably be most acceptive audience any performer could ask for!

     Teachers (parents, even!): you don't have to be musically trained to make your kids happy. You just have to try. 

     That's what I did and it's worked for me! I catch my kids singing while they play and work in our class and it makes my heart happy. Also, it's just the darn cutest thing!




*(can you tell what my favorite Christmas movie is??)*





Be safe and sweet, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment